Steven Silvio Pietrobon
SSP says g'day.
The time in Adelaide, South Australia is .
There have been .
- Steven Silvio PIETROBON
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow
Institute for Telecommunications Research
University of South Australia, The Levels SA 5095.
- DATE OF BIRTH:
- 5 October 1963
- AREAS OF WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Digital Transmission, Satellite Communications, Viterbi Decoder Design,
Trellis Coding, Error Control Coding,
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, USA.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering - 19 May 1991
International Space University, Toronto, Canada.
- Summer Session - 31 August 1990.
South Australian Institute of Technology (now University of
South Australia), The Levels, South Australia.
- M.Eng. in Electronic Engineering - 16 May 1989.
- B.Eng. in Electronic Engineering - 1 May 1986.
- Australian Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (1993-1996).
- NASA Research Assistantship (1988-1990).
- Commonwealth Scholarship (1986-1987).
- South Australian Institute of Technology Medal for outstanding
academic achievement (1986).
- National Semiconductor Prize for best first year Electronic
Engineering student at SAIT (1982).
- PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Coding Theory and Techniques Editor,
IEEE Transactions on Communications, (July 1996-)
- WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Mar. 1997 to present:
Small World Communications
6 First Avenue, Payneham South SA 5070.
Proprietor. Design of error control decoders for programmable gate arrays.
Jan. 1990 to Feb. 1997:
Satellite Communications Research Centre
University of South Australia, The Levels SA 5095.
Dec. 1985 to Feb. 1986:
Digital Communications Group
- Research Fellow, "Low rate convolutional codes for space and mobile
radio communications," - Australian Postdoctoral Research
Fellowship from the Australian Research Council.
- Search for best low rate convolutional codes and construction
of a turbo/MAP decoder.
- Project engineer, "Development of a 155 Mbit/s FEC codec," - project
for INTELSAT (Washington DC, USA)
- development of a novel FEC codec for satellite transmission of 155
Mbit/s Broadband ISDN. The design was based on a concatenation of
a multi-dimensional trellis code and a Reed-Solomon block code.
- Project engineer, "Remote Area Satellite Service," - project for South
Australian Department of Industry, Trade, and Technology.
- study of the communications systems for the space and ground
segments of a Remote Area Satellite Service (RASS) using small low
Earth orbiting satellites and existing geosynchronous satellites.
- Project engineer, "Rate 5/6 8PSK codec," - project for University of
South Australia and University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame IN, USA).
- development of a prototype 2 Mbit/s rate 5/6 8PSK codec (using a
multi-D trellis code) for possible use on the Hubble Space
South Australian Institute of Technology, The Levels SA 5095.
Work experience in error control codec design and manufacture.
Dec. 1984 to Feb. 1985:
Thorn EMI Electronics
Defence Science Technology Organisation, Salisbury SA 5108.
Work experience in testing electronic boxes for F/A-18.
- MAJOR PUBLICATIONS:
- S. S. Pietrobon, R. H. Deng, A. Lafanechhre, G. Ungerboeck, and D. J.
Costello, Jr., "Trellis-coded multidimensional phase modulation,"
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 36, pp. 63-89, Jan. 1990.
- S. S. Pietrobon and D. J. Costello, Jr., "Trellis coding with
multidimensional QAM signal sets," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory,
vol. 39, pp. 325-336, Mar. 1993.
- S. S. Pietrobon and D. J. Costello, Jr., "A bandwidth efficient coding
scheme for the Hubble space telescope," NASA Space Commun. Technol.
Conf., Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., pp. 75-81, Ohio, Nov. 1991,
National Space Eng. Symp. pp. 231-235, Canberra, ACT, Sep. 1992.,
and J. Electrical and Electron. Eng., Australia, vol. 13, pp.
275-282, Dec. 1993.
- P. K. Gray and S. S. Pietrobon, "An Australian low Earth orbiting mobile
satellite system," National Space Eng. Symp., pp. 13-18, Canberra,
ACT, Sep. 1992 and J. Electrical and Electron. Eng., Australia,
vol. 13, pp. 283-291, Dec. 1993.
- I. S. Morrison, S. S. Pietrobon, P. K. Gray, and J. J. Kasparian, "A 155
Mbit/s FEC codec for B-ISDN over a 72 MHz satellite transponder,"
National Space Eng. Symp., pp. 9-12, Canberra, ACT, Sep. 1992 and
J. Electrical and Electron. Eng., Australia, vol. 13, pp. 263-270,
- S. S. Pietrobon, G. Ungerboeck, L. C. Perez, and D. J. Costello, Jr.,
"Rotationally invariant nonlinear trellis codes for two-dimensional
modulation," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 40, pp. 1773-1791,
- S. S. Pietrobon, J. J. Kasparian, and P. K. Gray, "A multi-D trellis
decoder for a 155 Mbit/s concatenated codec," Int. J. of Satellite
Commun., vol. 12, pp. 539-553, Nov.-Dec. 1994.
- S. S. Pietrobon, "On the probability of error of convolutional codes,"
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 42, pp. 1562-1568, Sep. 1996.
IT96.ps.gz (96,536 bytes)
- S. S. Pietrobon, "Implementation and performance of a turbo/MAP decoder,"
Int. J. of Satellite Commun., vol. 16, pp. 23-46, Jan.-Feb. 1998.
turboMAP.ps.gz (1,151,742 bytes)
- W. Xiang and S. S. Pietrobon, "On the capacity and normalisation of ISI
channels," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 49, pp. 2263-2268,
IT03.ps.gz (135,595 bytes)
ITR's Turbo Coding Home Page
and Ph.D. Theses
Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
Generating postscript from Microsoft Word
Last update 8 Nov 2011 by Steven S. Pietrobon